I found a medallion-type stencil from Michael's and some acrylic paint in "Citron" to go with our blue and green bedroom color scheme. (I'm not sure how acrylic paint will do with washing, a fabric paint may have been a better choice.) I decided to slightly change the medallion pattern for alternating rows by painting or leaving out the little diamond shapes at the edges.
The painting part didn't take too long, but waiting for the paint to dry between the rows seemed to take forever! But eventually everything was painted and here we have the finished product:
And here's a picture of the before for comparison's sake:
I think the new curtains add a nice pop of color.
And a little closer:
Because the pattern was painted on using a sponge brush the paint application was not even giving it a bit of texture which I think adds to the handmade look. (Sorry for the wrinkles, I'm not much of an ironer!)
I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. Having only one small window in our bedroom makes the room a bit dark but these new curtains sure do brighten things up!
Blue Cricket Design