I finally made my mason jar soap dispensers! This project has been on my to do list for quite a while!
First, I found a couple canning jars at the thrift store in two different sizes that would work as hand soap dispensers for the bathroom and kitchen. I've seen a few blogs where they painted their mason jars so I thought I would give it a try. I chose a basic glossy white spray paint and sprayed it to the outside of the jars.
I then took a nail and hammered it into the center of the jars' lids to start a hole. I used needle nose pliers to pull the tin back enough to fit the soap dispenser pump. Here you can see the lid after I made a big enough hole for the pump. (I also used the hammer to flatten out the sharp edges on the underside of the lid for safety.)
I then used a hot glue gun to glue my pump into place on the lid.
At this point I spray painted the lid and pump to match and then screwed the lid onto my mason jars.
I used an oil-rubbed bronze spray paint on the lid and pump for the kitchen to match the faucet I hope to one day have :o)
And a satin nickel on the pump and lid for the bathroom to match the fixtures in there.
One problem I did run across was the paint on the movable part of the pump is not a good idea as you can see here:
The paint will rub-off. I'm still trying to think of a fix but the best idea is to just not paint here. If you can find a pump in the color you want and then just paint the jar lid to match I think that would be your best bet.