I decided to cover our bedroom nightstand lampshade with some fabric to tie in to the color-scheme and liven things up a bit.
I had covered a lampshade in our bedroom before with some fabric that just wasn't working with the new blue painted walls. The work was a bit tedious for me so I hadn't gotten around to doing a new lampshade in a different fabric. For the first lampshade I had cut out some fabric using the plastic protective sleeve that the lampshade is sold in as a template. Then I sewed the two edges together so it was cylindrical and pulled it down and around the lampshade like putting on a shirt. I had left an inch extra on the bottom and the top that I glued to the inside of the shade to make the edges look finished. I know, I know, it doesn't sound that bad but my sewing skills leave something to be desired, even for just sewing a straight seam :o(
But low and behold guess what I found at the fabric store! A lampshade lined with adhesive so all you have to do is stick on your fabric of choice. I was excited! And it was on sale for 50% off, woohoo!
So here it is. The green paper is just the liner, like the backing to a sticker that is peeled off to reveal the sticky layer.
Here is a close-up of the simple instructions included on the shade:
First I removed the paper lining from the adhesive of the lamp shade. The lining is then used as the pattern to draw the dimensions out on the fabric to be used, with 1 inch extra on all sides for the edges.
Here is a picture of the pattern laid out on the wrong side of the fabric so trace lines won't be visible on the finished shade. Well I guess that doesn't matter too much since the trace lines will be glued to the inside of the shade.........oh well, this is how I did it anyway.
After cutting the fabric I carefully attached the fabric to the shade, smoothing out any creases in the fabric as I went along. I then glued the 1 inch overhang of fabric at the top and bottom to the inside of the shade with a hot glue gun. If you wanted to, you can also add some fringe or pretty beads along the bottom edge of the shade to give it something a little more flashy.........but alas I don't think that would go over very well with Brian since this lamp is on his side of the bed :o(
But here it is all finished!
I know not terribly exciting, but a lot better than the orange shade I previously had...........yeah, the orange never really worked but I was experimenting, nothing wrong with experimenting :o) I also plan on painting Brian's nightstand white to lighten things up a bit more and maybe getting a new picture frame. One project down a zillion more to go! :o)